Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Full Moon In Libra, In My 12th House

Legacies


I know I am ridiculously late on posting (4/13 today), but unfortunately there was a death in the family...While others were in total fear of this "monster moon" early on, after reading about it on AstrologyZone.com, I feared not, but oh how I was wrong...

On March 13, my grandmother passed away, after turning it out for over 90 years (she always kept her age vague). A Scorpio like me, with a birthday just three days ahead of mine, she was a lady in every sense of the word and an amazing role model that I feel lucky to share the same DNA as. A total trailblazer, like being an economics major in college in China in the 1930's or being by my grandfather's side as he led the first Asian protest to City Hall in NYC, she made everything seem effortless. Her legacy to me made me feel all was possible and that it could be fun and it should be glamorous too. To honor her, I accepted the chance to eulogize her at her funeral:

Teresa Tom (November 13 19??-March 13 2013)
I’m lucky that I got a hip and hot grandmother. While other kids got cookies, mine wanted to gamble and drink with me… mine encouraged my fascination with high-heels and makeup at the age of four, reminding me always to, “Walk, talk, act like a lady.”

…Then there was the time I was a teenager, and she caught me with a boy, but never busted me to my parents. She asked me if he was nice. I said, “Yes,” and she never mentioned it again.

I knew she trusted I wasn’t senseless. She accepted me to be who I am, and never talked down to me or told me what to do… But, of course, she did like sharing her opinions. In our gossiping one day, she told me that for a relationship to work, the man has to be the smarter one, because a woman would get bored of a dumb guy, but a man would never get bored of being the smarter one…Then, another time, when she came over to my overpriced apartment in a rat-infested Mott St. building and said, “Well, once you close the door it’s all worth it.”

She always kept an open-mind and wanted to see the best in this world, never losing her chutzpah or composure. Always elegant, even in the face of life’s worst challenges, I aspire to her level of grace, generosity and courage. Having taught me by example, I loved that she showed me the world with a sense of adventure: to explore it, be a part of it, own it, make friends in it, fall in love in it, have purpose in it, enjoy it and most importantly, look good in it.  

I believe our spirits will meet again and our love is eternal. A gazillion thank you’s would never be enough, MaMa forever!